Under the most dramatic of circumstances Bayern had lost the ’99 CL final. In the Y2K edition Valencia were downright demolished. Yet both made it to Milan in May 2001 to vie for the European football crown once more. The match up would grant redemption to one side, whilst condemning the other to more heartbreak.
In episode nine we cover the Champions League Final 2000/01 contested between German champions Bayern Munich and Spanish representatives Valencia CF. Before that, though, we delve into all of the drama surrounding Bayern between their final appearances. Rest assured, there was plenty to be had on and off the pitch. In the aftermath we focus on Valencia with Rafa Benitez at the helm.
Here are the minutes:
- 0:04:30 Bayern after CL 99, summer moves
- 0:08:00 Drama in Munich & New York
- 0:14:30 Drama in Hamburg & Magdeburg
- 0:31:00 Valencia’s domestic season
- 0:35:00 CL: groups and quarters
- 0:45:00 Setting the stage at the San Siro: line-ups, expectations in Germany
- 0:57:20 Kick-off, Valencia convert an early pen, Bayern miss their’s
- 1:05:00 What are the side’s match plans?
- 1:12:00 Bayern dominate but hardly create
- 1:19:45 Jancker sub nets a third penalty
- 1:26:30 Valencia gassed? Few chances on either side
- 1:35:15 Into extra time with golden goal rules
- 1:44:00 Penalties
- 1:48:15 Awards & viewing recommendation
- 1:52:00 Valencia under Benitez, subsequent decline
Some further reading and viewing:
- The nearly men: Valencia and the Champions League
- Highlights of the last two Bundesliga matchdays 2000/01
- Full match over on footballia