After covering the history of Real Madrid in-depth in Part 1 as well as looking at the 97/98 season and the lead-up to the final, it’s time to actually talk about the match: Juventus are back for a third CL final in a row, having won their first and lost their second. Real Madrid have been waiting 32 years for La Séptima.
Here’s the audio (the arrow in the top right corner gets you an mp3 to download):
Here are the minutes, if you want to jump around:
- 0:00:00 Intro
- 0:01:30 What are Elo ratings? And how do they apply in (historical) football?
- 0:06:30 The eve of the match
- 0:11:00 Refs, kits, line-ups
- 0:18:00 Kickoff, frantic start, general approach
- 0:25:30 Zidane’s influence, penalty to Madrid?
- 0:30:00 Madrid closer to the opening goal (Raul, Morientes)
- 0:36:00 Davids vs Seedorf Pt 1, Madrid in command after the break
- 0:42:15 Juve’s tactical changes & resurgence (Inzaghi twice), but Madrid
- 0:46:00 Juve dial up the pace, finally throw in Conte
- 0:51:30 Again no plan B for Juve?
- 0:55:00 Handbags all around, Davids vs Seedorf Pt 2
- 1:00:00 Awards & recommendation
- 1:04:45 Aftermath, Heynckes out, Italian media reaction
- 1:07:30 Court case against Juve’s medical team & doping in football
- 1:22:00 Signing off
Awards! Our Man Of The Match went to Fernando Hierro, Best Hair to Antonio Conte. Clarence Seedorf and Edgar Davids earned commemorative plaques for their Outstanding Contribution in Man-to-Man Combat on the field. Case in point:
In the aftermath we covered the Juve doping scandal in detail. (YouTube to follow!) Years after their mid-90s dominance Roma’s former coach Zdeněk Zeman made thinly-veiled accusations that Juve’s success might have been aided by pharmaceuticals of the banned variety. This prompted an investigation, a court case, fines and jail sentences. To find out more, jump to around the 1h07m mark in the episode.