After this delightful foray into present-day football, we once again looked back at past matches. This proved to be a true trip down memory lane. Dortmund and the Bundesliga were naturally closer to us while growing up, while ~’96 is just about the time when we started following football in earnest. Or rather: we understood what we were looking at.
We decided to condense the content a bit more, so as not to split up the episode into multiple parts again. Let us know, if you have a preference either way. [Insert subtle plug for our Facebook fanpage and Twitter account here…]
The topic of discussion is the fifth ever Champions League final, contested between holders Juventus and German champions Dortmund. A good chunk of the first half of the episode is reserved for the BVB club history: from humble beginnings on the Weiße Wiese (white meadow) up until the mid 90s dominance.
Here are the minutes:
- 0:00:00 Intro
- 0:03:00 Pop culture re-cap, incl. the best ever sports documentary When We Were Kings
- 0:10:30 CL qualifiers, Juve’s domestic and international season 96/97, CL QF vs Rosenborg, SF vs Ajax
- 0:21:00 Foundation of Borussia, ever-changing German league structure and Dortmund’s (lack of) success pre-WWII
- 0:32:00 Dortmund in the Oberliga Westfalen, their three championships in the 50s & 60s and Cup Winner’s Cup title in ’66
- 0:39:00 Relegation & financial worries in the 70s & 80s, resurgence under Meier, Hitzfeld
- 0:51:00 Building a team for the mid 90s, Dortmund domestic season 96/97
- 1:00:00 Dortmund in the CL 96/97, QF vs Auxerre, SF vs ManUnited (in depth)
- 1:14:00 Lead-up to the final, line-ups, general set-up
- 1:34:20 Kick-off, Juve’s attacking rhythm
- 1:48:00 Riedle’s 1-2-punch
- 2:00:30 Ricken upstages Del Piero
- 2:09:15 Awards & Aftermath
Our Man of the Match went to Karl-Heinz Riedle. A first, as we normally shy away from just giving it to the goalscorer, but Riedle turned the game around virtue of his finishing ability, at a moment in the match when it looked almost certain Juve would score and, you know what, just listen to the episode.
Our award for the best hair went to Jörg Heinrich.
Here is the complete match, if you want to re-watch:
Instead of further reading we have a few further viewing recommendations, at least to skip through:
- Andi Möller’s “Schutzschwalbe”
- Dortmund vs Liverpool in the Cup Winner’s Cup final of 1966 (full match)
- Dortmund vs Manchester United in the Champions League semi final 1997 (full match 1st leg, full match 2nd leg)
- Dortmund vs Juventus in the UEFA Cup final of 1993 (highlights 1st leg, highlights 2nd leg)