If you’ve never watched this match before and don’t know what happened, stop reading and hit play.
If you’ve seen the match, the familiar beats are most likely etched into your mind. At least that’s how it went for us. The question then is, does the match as a whole hold up?
So before we spoil anything, this is part two of our episode on the Champions League Final 1998/99 contested in Barcelona between England’s Manchester United & Germany’s Bayern Munich.
The minutes, in case you want to jump around:
- 0:01:45 The setting: kits, referee team, commentary in England & Germany
- 0:07:00 Elo ratings, line-ups
- 0:13:30 Atmosphere, early approach,
- 0:17:00 First blood to Bayern c/o Mario Basler, United’s response
- 0:24:15 Indecisiveness from both sides, Beckham’s role
- 0:31:00 Bayern’s midfield formation, United revving up before half-time
- 0:38:00 Half-time thoughts
- 0:42:00 Bayern come out stronger
- 0:51:00 Momentum building for United
- 0:59:00 Sheringham on, formation shift for United
- 1:08:15 Matthäus off, Solskjaer on, Bayern power-play
- 1:18:30 Name on the trophy & into the promised land
- 1:25:00 Trophy presentation & celebrations, Awards
- 1:31:00 Aftermath, in the lion’s den
- 1:36:15 Bayern’s end to the season, United’s trip to Brazil
- Retro Recap: 10-Man City Stun Spurs, Tottenham vs Man City - 15. October 2017
- Retro Recap: When Ron Met Roo, Man United vs Everton - 8. October 2017
- Retro Recap: Henry Puts Nerazzurri To The Sword, Inter vs Arsenal - 1. October 2017
- Retro Recap: Nedved Dominates Rematch, Milan vs Juventus - 24. September 2017
- Retro Recap: Aimar Schools Torres, Atletico Madrid vs Valencia CF - 17. September 2017