On July 30th 1930 Uruguay won the first ever World Cup. In the final held at Estadio Centenario in Montevideo they beat Argentina 4:2. Of that we can be certain. But how much of what we read and hear about the World Cup 1930 should we take at face value?
Dean Lockyer has spent several years battling this very question. On his blog he digs through newspaper archives, memoirs, photographs, and every other bit of information covering the World Cup 1930. Fortunately for us he came onto the show to help us decode the story of the tournament.
Topics include, but are not limited to: King Carol II of Romania and his involvement in selecting the squad; foreign born players featuring for the USA; Argentina’s Luis Monti receiving death threats; crowd trouble in Montevideo and Buenos Aires. Of course we talk extensively about the football on display as well. We also weave in and out of the broader issue of seperating fact from fiction.
Minutes in case you want to jump around:
- 0:02:30 How the World Cup came to Uruguay
- 0:12:45 Finding willing participants
- 0:22:00 Did King Carol II actually pick the Romanian squad?
- 0:31:30 On the issue of citizenship
- 0:42:30 Selection of the Seleção
- 0:48:45 Training and staying fit aboard the ships
- 0:53:15 Press coverage of the tournament
- 1:01:00 The tournament kicks off; Laurent scores the first goal
- 1:07:00 Romania vs Peru setting all sort of records
- 1:15:15 Tournament format; mayhem at the opening ceremony
- 1:23:30 Trouble with official time keepers & goal differences
- 1:35:00 Yugoslavia causing the first ever World Cup upset
- 1:46:00 Who scored the first World Cup hattrick?
- 1:57:30 Argentina vs USA, Semi-final
- 2:13:00 Uruguay vs Yugoslavia, Semi-final
- 2:24:30 Build up to the final
- 2:34:00 Uruguay vs Argentina, Final
- 2:45:30 Aftermath in Buenos Aires and abroad
- Decoding the World Cup 1930 with Dean Lockyer - 30. July 2017
- Nottingham Forest vs BFC Dynamo, European Cup 1979/80 Quarter-final - 22. July 2017
- Talking Polish Football History From A to Zbigniew, w/ Christopher Lash (@rightbankwarsaw) - 8. July 2017
- Argentina U20 vs USSR U20, World Youth C’ship 1979 Final - 4. June 2017
- Neverkusen vs Galácticos w/ Eric Bruehl & Kiyan Sobhani - 21. May 2017